Haiku and other short poetry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Haiku and other short poetry

A poetry workshop for short form poetry, haiku, tanka ect.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Issa, the Master

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Billy
Admin
Billy

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-04-19

Issa, the Master Empty
PostSubject: Issa, the Master   Issa, the Master Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 2:35 am

Issa is my favorite haiku Master. The first one I read by him was...

this dewdrop world
is a dewdrop world
and yet ... and yet ...

I was intrigued, I had to learn more. Written just after the death of his child. Issa seams to have broken the rule about repetitiveness in haiku, yet without it I think this haiku would not have the power it has. I have yet to see anyone in any poetic genre describe the fleetingness we humans really have on this Earth as Issa did with the phrase " this dewdrop world". I am amazed by his insight.

Last edited by on Sat May 12, 2007 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://allabouthaiku.bravehost.com/index.html
norman_darlington

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-05-06

Issa, the Master Empty
PostSubject: Re: Issa, the Master   Issa, the Master Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2007 1:38 pm

From chapter 14 of Issa's haibun 'The Spring of my Life', translated by Sam Hamill:

It is often said that the greatest pleasures result in the greatest misery. But why is it that my little child who's had no chance to savor even half the world's pleasures—who should be green as new needles on the eternal pine—why should she be found on her deathbed, puffy with blisters raised by the despicable god of smallpox? How can I, her father, stand by and watch her fade away each day like a perfect flower suddenly ravaged by rain and mud?

Two or three days later, her blisters dried to hard scabs and fell off like dirt softened by melting snow. Encouraged, we made a tiny boat of straw and poured hot saké over it with a prayer and sent it floating downriver in hopes of placating the god of the pox. But our hope and efforts were useless and she grew weaker day by day. Finally, at midsummer, as the morning glory flowers were closing, her eyes closed forever.

Her mother clutched her cold body and wailed. I knew her heartbreak but also knew that tears were useless, that water under the bridge never returns, that scattered flowers are gone forever. And yet nothing I could do would cut the bonds of human love.

The world of dew
is only the world of dew—
and yet ... oh and yet ...
Back to top Go down
http://xaiku.com
Billy
Admin
Billy

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-04-19

Issa, the Master Empty
PostSubject: Re: Issa, the Master   Issa, the Master Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2007 4:09 am

Dang, I need to get this book. I just recently found out about haibun, it's fantastic.

Billy
Back to top Go down
http://allabouthaiku.bravehost.com/index.html
Sponsored content

Issa, the Master Empty
PostSubject: Re: Issa, the Master   Issa, the Master Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Issa, the Master
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Haiku and other short poetry :: Poem Discussions-
Jump to: